Sunday, January 14, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Favorite Photo

Nothing like a photo prompt to get me to join a blogging challenge!

Since uncovering car-loads of genealogical goodies in my stepmother's basement two years ago, this wedding photo of my paternal grandmother's parents on their wedding day has become my favorite photo.


My great-grandparents, Carl Johan Anderson and Mathilda Alfina Johnson, were married at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in South Manchester, CT on August 4, 1893.

Carl and Alfina knew each other in Sweden and were childhood sweethearts. They immigrated to America separately in 1888 and 1890 respectively, Carl alone and Alfina with her sister Anna and friend Selma. Carl found permanent work as a velvet weaver at a large mill in Manchester within eight months of his arrival and eventually they were able to build their own home, half of which was a boarding house.

Carl and Alfina had three children who all lived to adulthood: Axel Henrik Waldemar born in 1894, Elmer Carl Ragnar born in 1896 and my grandmother, Dagmar Alice Viola born in 1905.

Alfina died in 1955, Carl in 1956. I believe that they both died at a home in Massachusetts near their son Axel, but I have yet to verify this. They are buried in East Cemetery, South Manchester, CT in a plot with their boys and their wives, and Elmer's son who died at nine days old. Buried near them in their own family plots are Alfina's friend Selma and her sister Anna.


Anderson, Carl Johan and Johnson, Mathilda Alfina. Photograph taken 1893 privately held by Anna C. Matthews, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Rockville Centre, NY, 2018. It was found in the basement of her stepmother's home in 2015, her father having died in 2005. Subjects are identified by writing on the back as well as their resemblance to other photos.

5 comments:

  1. Anna, Alfina's dress is gorgeous. Did she sew it herself? And Carl is quite a handsome gent. This is a photo to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. I wish I knew about the dress. I don't know anything about their wedding unfortunately exept for the date and the place.

      Delete
  2. If any of my ancestors wore a REAL wedding dress, they didn’t save a photo for me.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...