Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Family History Month - Giving Back


Yep, that's me!

If you're someone who volunteers regularly, I applaud you, sincerely. I never seem to find the time to do so on a regular basis.


This weekend, though, I'm going to spend some time giving back to the genealogy community. I'll be joining with (so far) 59,220 others to index records at Family Search during this year's Worldwide Indexing Event (link here) from Friday through Sunday.

If you haven't indexed for Family Search in a while, you may see some changes. You are no longer tied to your desktop because indexing has moved to the cloud and is now accessible from most devices.

If you haven't indexed ever, please don't be intimidated. There is plenty of help on the website and you can take it at your own pace.  The records are fascinating and you know that you'll be helping other researchers connect with their families.

Since 2006, volunteers have made 1 Billion records searchable on Family Search - a truly breathtaking number but still only the tip of the iceberg - I'll be very interested to see how many records we can add during this event.


1 comment:

  1. I'll be adding my typing skills - and hopefully, transcription skills - to the project as well this weekend. I transcribed for freeBMD for a year or two as well in the past - it all helps us search and understand the records, I think.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...