Thursday, December 15, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday - A Mystery Medal

Earlier this month, my mother arrived at our house for dinner with a little bag full of genea-goodies including the school athletic medals that I shared last week. This week's treasure is a mystery.




This is a gold medal (actually bronze) awarded to an exhibitor at the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exhibition, also known as the St. Louis World's Fair. We are currently working under the assumption that this came from my grandfather's things and not my grandmother's, but we could be wrong. In either case, it wouldn't have originated with either of them; my grandfather turned six in February of 1904 and my grandmother was born that March.

I have found, on the Internet Archive, a copy of the list of exhibitors at the fair. It is a very long list, the book is over 1300 pages long, it will take me some time to get through.

Since my mother doesn't remember ever hearing any family stories about the exhibition, I don't know that we'll ever solve this mystery with any degree of certainty, but I hope to at least make an educated guess.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing that so much was kept. So often younger generations don't see the value of such memorabilia and toss it out before it can make it way to someone who really cares about it. You are very lucky! It certainly adds to the fun of genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my mother is their only child and a packrat, I mean conservator.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...