Thursday, March 24, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday - Chicago Pt. II

Over two weekends last September, Donald and I went through my step-mother's basement finding much hidden family treasure in the way of furniture, silver, china, photos, negatives, Bibles, documents and books.  After a good airing out I am trying to devote at last an hour every Wednesday evening to scanning and photographing these items for posterity and so that I can share them here with you on Treasure Chest Thursdays.

Last week I shared the first few pages of a scrapbook/album of my father's including the first photos that he ever took. His love of photography and trains were very evident in this scrapbook, including his photos and mementos from the 1949 Chicago Railroad Fair which I share with you here.







"The 3' gauge locomotive of the Cripple Creek
and Tincup Railroad"

"The John Bull"

"Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe"

"An old Pennsylvania R.R. pay car"



"The Atlantic"

"Happy"

"The William Mason"

Dad the Jail Bird

"The DeWitt Clinton"

"An old gold mill"

"The Cemetery"

"Two old timers at the Railroad Fair"


Sorry for the lack of commentary, it was all I could do to get scanning done this week. I have Continuing Education credits to earn this week for my certification as a Medical Coder which is keeping me busy but I also wanted to stay on track with my scanning plan.

If you are interested in learning more about the 1948 and 1948 Chicago Railroad Fairs, Wikepedia has an interesting entry here. I learned that this fair may have inspired Disney World!

Be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. No apologies necessary. The pictures speak for themselves. And good for you for sticking to your plans despite all that you have going on.
    (Isn't it funny how people love to have their picture taken behind bars?)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...