Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Fearless Females - Day 2 - Lucy Hamilton Smith Sawer

Lisa Alzo, The Accidental Genealogist, started a blogging-prompt series in March of 2010 to honor the "fearless females" in our family trees. Yesterday she posted the prompts for those who want to participate this year.

Today's prompt: Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?

This is a photo of my Great Aunt (or Grand Aunt) Lucy Hamilton Smith Sawer, eldest sister of my maternal grandfather, George Washington Smith. The photo was taken somewhere between 1914 and 1918. Do I really have to tell you why I chose it?


Unfortunately, my grandfather was gone for many years before I ever saw these photo albums and I don't know the story of these two photos. My mother wasn't able to shed any light on them either.

All kidding aside, I chose this picture because it is so unusual and shows a woman who appears to be something of a free spirit. It is this picture that makes me wish I had known Aunt Lucy but she died in 1964, a few years before I was born.


Thank you, Lisa, for an excuse to share these unusual and interesting photos from my grandfather's albums.

1 comment:

  1. Those are wonderful photos! I hope, someday, you are able to learn more of the story behind these. It looks like a story wanting to be told! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...