Monday, September 28, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Do-Over

Life has felt a little bit like a ride on the Scrambler lately!
It has now been about two months since I have done any research. It has been wonderful to spend these last few weeks immersed in the finds from my father's "secret collection" but I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at my research plan, and I'm starting to feel it.

That isn't to say I haven't come across any information among the photos and books, etc. I now know the name of the church my grandparents and father attended when they lived in Chicago, that my Swedish great-grandfather did a short stint in the military before his immigration to the US and as I posted last Saturday, I know now that my grandfather's brother was his best man and that he and a sister appear in photos and home movies that I have from that day.

Even so, I've been spending so much time purging and rearranging and organizing that I feel a little removed from all the good work that I put in earlier in the year, and I've decided that the best way for me to get back in the swing is to start another Do-Over cycle. This will allow me to reinforce those improved research habits, like always sitting down with a plan, and to finish some things I started, like the toolbox.

I can't wait to get back into it again. Especially with the new information from Dad's collection. Cycle 4 starts Friday, but I hope to be back with another post before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...