Thursday, April 23, 2015

Genealogy Do-over Week 2 - Cycle 2

As I explained in my last post which was Part I of the geneameme When I Was Young, I have not had much time for blogging since the NHL playoffs started, although I have been keeping up with the do-over.

1. Setting Research Goals

My immediate research goals are to start at the beginning with my parents and so I have been using OneNote to track my goals and progress, and I am also taking Thomas' advice and being very specific and not too broad: Prove Dad's date of birth, place of birth, date of baptism, place of baptism, etc.

Funny that though I had no idea where to start to find my father's baptismal information, I found a clue in organizing my papers in Week #1!

Also, I will be jumping ahead a bit to my paternal grandmother's family when I visit her hometown next weekend.  My mother and I used to take a day-trip or weekend trip to Connecticut every spring.  For one reason and another this hasn't happened in a few years, but I decided I really wanted to visit Manchester this year because I don't remember visiting the cemetery where my great-grandparents are buried.  After I started following the Manchester Historical Society on Facebook, I found that the Manchester Town Hall is having a Family History Day on Saturday, May 2nd. They are opening the vaults to Birth, Marriage and Death records from 9am-1pm (apparently in Connecticut you have to go right to the town for vital records) and offering a free half hour with a professional genealogist which I have already booked.  Unfortunately this is not a day my mother can come with me but I am going. So I have made a list of the dates of births, marriages and deaths in this family so that I can try to find any vital records they have.

2. I conducted a self-interview.

Using tools provided by generous members of the Do-Over group on Facebook as well as the geneameme I started blogging yesterday.

3. I have started conducting family interviews

This will be an ongoing process. My mother is ridiculously difficult to pin down and I have no near relatives, so the rest of my process cannot wait on this.

In the meantime, I have a list of questions for her and sneak them in when we speak on the phone or go grocery shopping.  I also have some stories I would like her to actually write or type out for me. Those things are mostly second-hand stories like the stories my grandmother told her about my great-grandmother's illness.  Eva Bean had what was then known as creeping paralysis (possibly ALS from the symptoms Grandma described) and was taken to a mesmerist at one point because it was thought to be a mental condition.  Things like that I would love for her to write out for me because it helps jog the memory and maybe we'll get some additional detail.

So, to sum up, some Week 2 goals have been reached and others are a work in progress but we're on to Week Three!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...