Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Cycle 2 - Week One - Getting Organized

I spent a good part of yesterday evening getting our office organized so that I can get my family papers organized next.


 
Because I started my research with Ancestry.com and other digital resources, almost all of the paper documentation I have is inherited. Although I have digitized some of it, I would never discard it.  That said, it does need a good going over, a little organization and, I now realize, should be added to a research log at some point in the near future. But I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thomas MacEntee's topics for Week 1 of the do-over are:

1) Setting Previous Research Aside

2) Preparing to Research

3) Establishing Base Practices and Guidelines

I still haven't decided if I am an all-in participant or a do-over participant.  Somehow I cannot imagine myself completely setting aside all of the research I have done to this point.  I can see myself setting it aside for the duration of the 13 do-over though, so that is probably what I will do.

As I said in a previous post on this topic, when I first heard about the do-over I found the prospect completely overwhelming but I knew it was something that had to be done if I was going to take my research any further.  And from the response to the idea, it is obvious that I am not alone.  I realized this weekend, though, that it doesn't have to be overwhelming. I don't have to figure it all out now. I've decided to trust the process and take it one week, one topic, at a time.

So I'll be getting organized and working on my guidelines and I'll be back when I have those to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...