Friday, April 3, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Cycle 2 - I'm In




As soon as I saw Thomas MacEntee's first blog post about Genealogy Do-Over I knew that this was something I would have to do.  I know full well that I have researched the same record three times, that my sources are poorly and sporadically cited, I know that my tree on Ancestry is full of assumptions. But I was overwhelmed with the idea.

When I first started researching my ancestry, it was just for fun and for myself.  I just wanted to answer a few questions and that was all. That is one reason that it took me so long to become a paid member of Ancestry.com. Over time my goals have evolved, now I want it all.  I want to take every line as far back as possible, I want to find every possible document, and share it with every interested cousin.

That means a whole new approach to my research, even thinking about it differently.

After watching and listening to about a half dozen of DearMYRTLE's hangouts on air over the past few months, ordering some books and joining some Facebook groups and Google + communities, I was finally ready to take a look at Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over and see if I could follow along at this late date.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that although his 13 week project was ending, another would be starting today and I AM IN.

So, I will be documenting my do-over/go-over here and hope that you will find my experiences helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...